Sunday, December 21, 2008

Homeschooling As a Quiet Protest Against Public School -- Just Enough, and Nothing More

"Is homeschooling simply a choice, or is it a refusal to participate in something that we’re “supposed” to do? This seems trite perhaps, but I wonder, is homeschooling any different than choosing Coke over Pepsi? Is drinking Coke a protest against Pepsi?

What if the government gave out free Pepsi? Would drinking Coke then be a protest against the government?

Homeschooling is only a protest against school if we’re expected to do it, if public school is the socially “right” choice, and if it’s the way people are “supposed” to learn. Is that what it is in our country? I thought that we lived in a country where choice, freedom, and the pursuit of happiness reigned? Is this not true?

So, if you think that I’m supposed to roll over and do whatever everyone else does because that’s what I’m “supposed” to do, then yes, I am protesting against public school. But I’m not making a big deal about it, because to me, public school is like Pepsi. And it should be like Pepsi. A choice. Just as I prefer Coke, other people prefer Pepsi. And that’s fine with me."

No comments: